The Victorian Certificate of Applied Learning (VCAL) is a senior secondary qualification and is accredited with the Victorian Qualifications Authority. At Foundation level, students learn under close supervision with high levels of direction. Knowledge and employability skills development is supported by a strong emphasis on literacy and numeracy skills and preparatory learning.
In addition to the core VCAL units, students will select from one of three vocational streams according to personal interest. Streams available are: Creative Industries, Hospitality and Warehousing.
Before you apply for this course, please contact Wodonga TAFE to arrange a pre-training interview to determine the level of VCAL you will undertake.
- **Literacy skills** - Learners who successfully complete this unit will be able to read, comprehend and write a range of familiar texts across a broad range of contexts.
- **Numeracy skills** - Learners will develop underpinning numeracy skills in the mathematical areas of numbers and data; financial literacy; time and location; and measurement and design.
- **Work Related Skills** - Learners will be required to demonstrate employability skills at entry level including; planning, organisation, critical thinking, problem solving and communication skills and be able to apply these in a work-related project.
- **Personal Development** - Learners will develop communication and team work skills including decision making, goal setting, cultural awareness, problem solving, communication and critical reflection. They will be required to design and implement a community project that demonstrates social engagement and civic and civil responsibility.
- **Industry specific skills** - Learners gain specific work skills tailored to particular industries - Creative Industries, Hospitality or Warehousing
LIT011 Literacy Skills Foundation Reading and Writing
LIT012 Literacy Skills Foundation Oral Communication
NUM011 Numeracy Skills Foundation
PDS011 Personal Development Skills Unit 1 (Foundation)
PDS012 Personal Development Skills Unit 2 (Foundation)
WRS011 Work Related Skills Unit 1 (Foundation)
WRS012 Work Related Skills Unit 2 (Foundation)
Additional selectable units apply depending on the vocational/industry area chosen for your VCAL; you will enrol in units of competency from Creative Industries, Hospitality, or Warehousing training packages.
The assessments will enable students to demonstrate the underpinning knowledge, skills and attributes required to meet the course outcomes. A range of assessment strategies to meet different student’s needs will be selected, and may include: a portfolio of student work, participation in class/community projects, written questions and observation of skills.
Upon successful completion of this course you will be awarded a Foundation VCAL certificate and a statement of attainment from the Victorian Curriculum Assessment Authority.
Successful completion of the this course may lead to apprenticeships or traineeships, and employment.
- On-campus – The majority of teaching and assessment is conducted on-campus
- McKoy Street Main Campus VIC
Full-time: 10 months
Minimum 3 days per week from 9.30am-3.00pm
In addition to scheduled classes, students may be required to participate in structured workplace learning activities.
The VCAL level will be determined at the pre-training interview.
At Foundation VCAL level, you will work with support and guidance in regards to planning and completing work activities,
Government Funded $2,020.00 (Tuition $2,020.00, Materials $0.00)
Concession $404.80 (Tuition $404.80, Materials $0.00)
Fee For Service $4,048.00 (Tuition $4,048.00, Materials $0.00)
Fees Additional Information
The student tuition fees published are indicative only and can be subject to change given individual circumstances at the time of enrolment. Funding made available to eligible individuals by State and Commonwealth Governments. If funding is utilised, this may affect future opportunities to access additional funding in the future. For more information see ‘Fee information and eligibility’ under the 'Apply Now' tab on the Wodonga TAFE website.
How to apply
Before you apply for this course, please contact Wodonga TAFE to arrange a pre-training interview, including a language, literacy and numeracy assessment to determine the level of VCAL you will undertake.
After this our application procedure is as follows:
1. Apply via the ‘Apply online now’ button in this course information page. If the course is not available for online application, you can submit your enquiry via the online form below. Alternatively, please feel free to contact our friendly customer service team on 1300 69 8233 or email email@example.com
2. On completion of the Pre-training interview, you will be notified of acceptance into the course.
3. Customer service will then process your enrolment at which time your fees are payable. You will be provided with a training plan listing the units you are enrolled in.
In addition to supplied materials, you should also bring:
- A4 lecture note book or paper
- Ruler, pens, pencils, eraser and pencil case
It is recommended that you bring your own laptop or tablet
Successful completion of this course may lead to further study opportunities.
When You Can Enrol
Apply now for 2019, commencing in February.
Please fill the below fields then submit your enquiry: