This course is available to apprentice chefs, and also to people who are currently working in industry in kitchen hand or cook roles.
You will learn how to prepare, cook, and serve food across a range of hospitality settings and gain the skills and knowledge to be competent as a qualified chef or cook in a supervisory or team leader role in the kitchen. Work takes place in various kitchen settings, such as restaurants, hotels, clubs, pubs, cafes, cafeterias and coffee shops.
- Produce dishes or meals of the following: poultry, seafood, meat, desserts, cake, pastries, breads, stocks, sauces, soups, appetisers and salads
- Plan and cost basic menus
- Prepare food for special dietary requirements
- Use cookery skills effectively and produce using basic methods
- Maintain the quality of perishables, equipment and the premises
- Hygiene, safe food handling and WHS
BSBSUS201 Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices
BSBWOR203 Work effectively with others
SITHCCC001 Use food preparation equipment
SITHCCC005 Prepare dishes using basic methods of cookery
SITHCCC006 Prepare appetisers and salads
SITHCCC007 Prepare stocks, sauces and soups
SITHCCC008 Prepare vegetable, fruit, eggs and farinaceous dishes
SITHCCC012 Prepare poultry dishes
SITHCCC013 Prepare seafood dishes
SITHCCC014 Prepare meat dishes
SITHCCC018 Prepare food to meet special dietary requirements
SITHCCC019 Produce cakes, pastries and breads
SITHCCC020 Work effectively as a cook
SITHKOP001 Clean kitchen premises and equipment
SITHKOP002 Plan and cost basic menus
SITHPAT006 Produce desserts
SITXFSA001 Use hygienic practices for food safety
SITXFSA002 Participate in safe food handling practices
SITXHRM001 Coach others in job skills
SITXINV002 Maintain the quality of perishable items
SITXWHS001 Participate in safe work practices
SITHCCC002 Prepare and present simple dishes
SITHCCC011 Use cookery skills effectively
SITHCCC017 Handle and serve cheese
SITHCCC021 Prepare specialised food items
The assessments will enable students to demonstrate the underpinning knowledge, skills and attributes required to meet the course outcomes. A range of assessment strategies to meet different students' needs will be selected, including observation, questioning, case studies, practical demonstrations, and theory tests in a variety of settings including Wodonga TAFE’s Valleys Restaurant and by your employer in the workplace.
Safe Food Handling certificate
By successfully completing this course you will receive a nationally recognised AQF Qualification.
- Restaurant manager
- Chef (apprentice)
- On-campus – The majority of teaching and assessment is conducted on-campus
- Blended – Teaching and assessment will be conducted on-campus and online.
- Apprenticeship – Teaching and assessment will be required to be conducted as part of an apprenticeship
- McKoy Street, Wodonga Vic (Main campus)
- Individual training plans are developed in consultation with your employer.
- On-campus workshops are delivered 8am-4pm, one day each week.
- On-campus workshops are delivered 1 day per week, 8am-4pm, for 3 years.
You must be employed as an apprentice prior to undertaking this course, or for non-apprenticeship applicants you must be currently employed in industry in kitchen hand or cook roles.
From 1 January 2019, Free TAFE for Priority Courses is a Victorian Government program that will pay your tuition fees to study in this selected course at Wodonga TAFE, if you’re eligible, subject to minimum numbers.
Government Funded $1,500.00 (Tuition $1,500.00, Materials $0.00)
Concession $300.00 (Tuition $300.00, Materials $0.00)
Fee For Service $3,750.00 (Tuition $3,750.00, Materials $0.00)
Fees Additional Information
Please note that whilst this course is on the 'Free TAFE for Priority Courses' list this only applies to non-apprentice applications.
The student tuition fees published are indicative only and can be subject to change given individual circumstances at the time of enrolment. Funding made available to eligible individuals by State and Commonwealth Governments. If funding is utilised, this may affect future opportunities to access additional funding in the future. For more information see ‘Fee information and eligibility’ under the 'Apply Now' tab on the Wodonga TAFE website.
How to apply
Apply via the ‘Apply online now’ button in this course information page. If the course is not available for online application, you can submit your enquiry via the online form below. Alternatively, please feel free to contact our friendly customer service team on 1300 69 8233 or email email@example.com
When You Can Enrol
- For an apprenticeship, contact an Apprenticeship Network Provider to find an apprenticeship - https://www.australianapprenticeships.gov.au/find-my-aasn-by-region
- For non-apprentices, enrolments are also open to people who are currently working in industry in kitchen hand or cook roles.
Please fill the below fields then submit your enquiry: