This qualification focuses on the essential skills you need to be successful in this exciting growth industry. This course is a perfect blend of creativity, theoretical elements, technical knowledge and practical skills required within the interior design industry. You will work with real-life client briefs and engage directly with industry to develop your concepts into fully resolved solutions for your client. Successful completion of this course offers you a pathway and one year’s credit into the Diploma of Interior Design and Decoration.
This qualification is used to develop skills and a breadth, depth and complexity of knowledge in a range of decoration advice and services, including:
- research and analysis of the client’s goals and requirements
- planning, designing and arranging space
- interior styling
- specifying finishes and furnishings
- selection of colours
- specifications and purchasing
- effective visual communication
- design history, themes and styles.
BSBDES302 Explore and apply the creative design process to 2D forms
BSBDES303 Explore and apply the creative design process to 3D forms
CUAACD301 Produce drawings to communicate ideas
CUAACD303 Produce technical drawings
MSFGN4001 Research and meet ethical and compliance requirements
MSFID4012 Decorate residential interiors
MSFID4016 Design colour schemes for interior and exterior spaces
CUADIG303 Produce and prepare photo images
CUADIG304 Create visual design components
MSFID4015 Prepare materials and finishes boards for client presentation
MSFID4017 Research and recommend furniture and accessories
MSFID4019 Research interior decoration and design influences
MSFSF3008 Measure up and calculate fabric quantities for window coverings
MSFSF3010 Advise customers on interior decoration
BSBDES304 Source and apply design industry knowledge
MSFID4014 Produce digital models and documentation for interior design projects
MSFID4018 Research and recommend hard materials and finishes for interiors
Additional selectable units may apply.
The assessments will enable students to demonstrate the underpinning knowledge, skills and attributes required to meet the specific unit outcomes. A range of assessment strategies will be utilised, including practical assessments, theoretical assessments such as written tasks and tests, as well as displaying your technical abilities through project based assessments.
There are no specific licences that relate to this qualification. Work will require access to construction sites and you will require construction induction training and certification (white card) covered by the unit MSMWHS200 Work safely in the construction industry.
By successfully completing this course you will receive a nationally recognised AQF qualification.
Employment opportunities may include roles such as:
- interior decorators
- colour consultants
- visual communication
- customer service
- technical drawing and documentation
- On-campus – The majority of teaching and assessment is conducted on-campus
- Blended – Teaching and assessment will be conducted on-campus and online.
- McKoy Street, Wodonga Vic (Main campus)
Full-time: 1 year; Blended: Part-time 18 months
**Full-time:** Commencing February, 3 days on campus: Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday, 9am-4pm.
**Part-time:** Commencing February, 1 evening on campus: Tuesday, 6pm-9pm
There are no field placements associated with this course, students receive extensive and direct industry engagement during the course. All students have the opportunity to exhibit their work at various points throughout the year. All students participate in a major exhibition in November each year. This is an excellent opportunity to start or extend your exhibition practice for your portfolio.
- Full-time delivery (day-time course): there are no formal entry requirements, however we recommend that you have completed Year 10 as a minimum, or that you enrol as a mature-aged student. A pre-training interview is required prior to entry into the course.
- Part-time blended learning delivery (evening course): you need to have high-level digital skills with some industry experience. Your suitability for this delivery type will be determined at an interview with the course coordinator. A pre-training interview is required prior to entry into the course.
Government Funded $3,312.00 (Tuition $3,312.00, Materials $0.00)
Concession $662.40 (Tuition $662.40, Materials $0.00)
Fee For Service $5,796.00 (Tuition $5,796.00, Materials $0.00)
Fees Additional Information
The student tuition fees published are indicative only and can be subject to change given individual circumstances at the time of enrolment. Funding made available to eligible individuals by State and Commonwealth Governments. If funding is utilised, this may affect future opportunities to access additional funding in the future. For more information see ‘Fee information and eligibility’ under the ‘Apply Now’ tab on the Wodonga TAFE website.
You will be required to obtain your White Card, which will be through an external source, at a cost of between $60-$80.
How to apply
Apply via the ‘Apply online now’ button in this course information page. If the course is not available for online application, you can submit your enquiry via the online form below. Alternatively, please feel free to contact our friendly customer service team on 1300 69 8233 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Where applicants can show evidence of prior qualifications or experience in a related field, there may be an opportunity to apply for recognition to be given for previous study, knowledge, and/or skills resulting from work or life experience relevant to this qualification. Please contact the department for further information about Skills Recognition. If you have completed another related course you may be eligible to receive course credit. To apply for course credit you will be required to provide the following documentation with your enrolment form: certificates, transcripts, qualifications of previous related study, examples of work completed, or a portfolio of work.
- Diploma of Interior Design and Decoration.
- Additional pathways for higher education can be achieved through the interior design and decoration qualifications. These include interior design, graphic design, visual communication, architecture and industrial design. Contact higher education institutes directly for credit pathways.
When You Can Enrol
Apply now for the course commencing February 2020.
Please fill the below fields then submit your enquiry: