Gain the skills and knowledge you need to work in residential care facilities (nursing homes and hostels) and community agencies such as adult day activity centres. As an activities officer or diversional therapy assistant you would be helping design, implement and evaluate health and leisure activities and programs for clients. You will learn to facilitate groups for individual outcomes, apply sociological concepts, plan and monitor programs for clients with complex needs and learn safety procedures for direct care work. This qualification addresses work in residential facilities and/or in community agencies and day centres and work under professional supervision within defined organisational guidelines or as sole practitioners.
This course also offers you a pathway from successful completion of the Certificate III in Individual Support (Ageing, Home and Community) CHC33015. Completion of additional units will give you the opportunity to gain the Certificate IV in Leisure and Health CHC43415 as an additional qualification, and will provide you with further employment opportunities.
Dates / Locations
#### When You Can Enrol
- On-campus: Apply online for our 2022 intake commencing in April. Applications close on 15 April 2022.
Note: If applications are not open please register your details via the ‘Enquire Now’ button to be notified when future intakes are scheduled.
- Traineeship: You will enrol with Wodonga TAFE as part of your traineeship with your employer. The Australian Apprenticeship Support Network (AASN) is your first point of contact for queries about a traineeship or apprenticeship, www.australianapprenticeships.gov.au/about-aasn.
#### Delivery Schedule
- On-campus: 2022 intake commencing 28 April, 1 day per week on campus (Thursdays)
- Traineeship - Individual training plans will be developed in consultation with your employer, as part of your traineeship.
- McKoy Street, Wodonga Vic (Main campus)
#### Compulsory Units
CHCCOM002 Use communication to build relationships
CHCDIV001 Work with diverse people
CHCLAH001 Work effectively in the leisure and health industries
CHCLAH002 Contribute to leisure and health programming
CHCLAH003 Participate in the planning, implementation and monitoring of individual leisure and health programs
CHCLAH004 Participate in planning leisure and health programs for clients with complex needs
CHCLAH005 Incorporate lifespan development and sociological concepts into leisure and health programming
CHCPRP003 Reflect on and improve own professional practice
HLTAAP002 Confirm physical health status
HLTWHS002 Follow safe work practices for direct client care
CHCAGE001 Facilitate the empowerment of older people
CHCAGE005 Provide support to people living with dementia
SISCCRO001 Plan and conduct recreation programs for older persons
CHCCCS015 Provide individualised support
CHCCCS025 Support relationships with carers and families
BSBLDR403 Lead team effectiveness
CHCVOL003 Recruit, induct and support volunteers
#### Selectable Units
Additional selectable units may apply.
#### Learning Outcomes
- Design, implement and monitor health and leisure activities for clients
- Use targeted communications skills for relationship building
- Apply sociological concepts and human behaviour to leisure activities
- Facilitate groups and responsible behaviour
- Plan programs for clients with complex needs
- Maintain an effective work environment
- Work within a relevant legal and ethical framework
Part-time: 12 months
- On-campus – The majority of teaching and assessment is conducted on-campus
- Traineeship – Teaching and assessment will be required to be conducted as part of a traineeship
- Students must be a minimum of 17 years of age at the time of their first clinical placement.
- It is advisable that prior to placement students have a current National Police Records Check; applications are at student’s own cost and the price and process varies depending on the state they reside in. Students will also possibly need to obtain a Victorian Working With Children’s Check to undergo work placement. Current First Aid certificates may also be a requirement of the placement venue, and are obtained at the student’s own expense.
- Prior to placement students are required to show evidence of up-to-date immunisation status for the following: Hepatitis B, Influenza, MMR (if non-immune), Pertussis (dTpa), and Varicella (if non-immune). Note: From 17 September 2021, COVID-19 vaccination will be mandatory for all people working in aged care settings, including students, with a minimum of the first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine to have been received by this time. It will be a condition of working in a residential aged care facility through shared state, territory and Commonwealth authorities and compliance measures. For more information visit the Department of Health website, https://www.health.gov.au/initiatives-and-programs/covid-19-vaccines/information-for-aged-care-providers-workers-and-residents-about-covid-19-vaccines/information-for-residential-aged-care-workers-about-covid-19-vaccines
From 1 January 2019, Free TAFE for Priority Courses is a Victorian Government program that will pay your tuition fees to study in this selected course at Wodonga TAFE, if you’re eligible, subject to minimum numbers.
Government Funded $2,991.00 (Tuition $2,637.50, Materials $353.50)
Concession $881.00 (Tuition $527.50, Materials $353.50)
Fee For Service $5,628.50 (Tuition $5,275.00, Materials $353.50)
Additional fee assistance may be available for eligible individuals, as part of State & Commonwealth government initiatives. Materials fees may apply.
The student tuition fees published are indicative only and can be subject to change given individual circumstances at the time of enrolment.
Funding made available to eligible individuals by State and Commonwealth Governments. If funding is utilised, this may affect future opportunities to access additional funding in the future. For more information see ‘Fee information and eligibility’ under the 'Apply Now' tab on the Wodonga TAFE website.
- Students must be a minimum of 17 years of age at the time of their first clinical placement.
- Successful applicants for this course will be required to obtain a Working with Children’s Check and may be asked to apply for a National Police check prior to placement.
- Successful applicants for this course will be required to provide evidence of immunisation records (for placement). Note: From 17 September 2021, COVID-19 vaccination will be mandatory for all people working in aged care settings, including students, with a minimum of the first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine to have been received by this time. It will be a condition of working in a residential aged care facility through shared state, territory and Commonwealth authorities and compliance measures. For more information visit the Department of Health website, https://www.health.gov.au/initiatives-and-programs/covid-19-vaccines/information-for-aged-care-providers-workers-and-residents-about-covid-19-vaccines/information-for-residential-aged-care-workers-about-covid-19-vaccines
- On receipt of your course application you will be emailed an ‘Application Requirement Questionnaire’ electronic form and you will be required to provide evidence of a Victorian Working With Children’s Check (WWCC).
- All applicants understand there is a selection process that applies to all courses. This process includes: LLN (Literacy, Learning, Numeracy) Assessment; Written Tasks; Group Interview.
- Once you submit an application for this course you will receive a separate email from LLN Robot to complete a Learning, Reading, Writing, Oral and Numeracy test online. Please check your junk mail if this does not come to your inbox.
- Please allow one hour to complete the LLN Robot assessment. You will need a computer with speakers or headphones as there is an audio section in the assessment.
- Your LLN Assessment will need to be completed one week after receiving it to progress your application to the next stage, or your application may be withdrawn due to inactivity.
- If you are unable to access the LLN Robot link please contact our Customer Experience team **as soon as possible**.
- Note: Completion of and passing the LLN Robot Assessment does not guarantee a place in the course at Wodonga TAFE. Numbers are limited and selected applicants will be contacted to attend an interview. If an applicant is not accepted into their preferred course they will be contacted and provided information on alternate pathways and/or courses.
Students who successfully complete this course may find further study opportunities at university level, including qualifications in diversional therapy.
[Study pathways with Wodonga TAFE »](/to-wodonga-tafe-and-beyond)
- Activities officer
- Diversional therapy assistant
- Community leisure officer
- Leisure officer
- Disability officer – day support
- Recreation activities officer
By successfully completing this course you will receive a nationally recognised AQF Qualification.
The assessments will enable students to demonstrate the underpinning knowledge, skills and attributes required to meet the course outcomes. A range of assessment strategies to meet different student’s needs will be selected, some of these include:
- Written Questions
- Oral Presentations
- Work Related Projects
- Research Projects
- Self/Peer Assessment
- Case Study
- Group Discussion
- Log Book
- Practical Experience
How to apply
Apply via the ‘Apply now’ button in the course information page. If the course is not available for online application, register your details via the ‘Enquire Now’ form to be notified when future dates are scheduled, or to chat to our friendly Customer Experience team.
For traineeship information and enrolments, the Australian Apprenticeship Support Network (AASN) is your first point of contact for queries about a traineeship or apprenticeship, www.australianapprenticeships.gov.au/about-aasn.
Please note: We reserve the right to close course intakes early. Many courses have limited places and high demand. Early applications are recommended. We reserve the right to cancel intakes and courses if there are insufficient student numbers.
Please fill the below fields then submit your enquiry: