Develop the skills and knowledge you need to work as a community service worker, designing and delivering person-centred services to individuals and/or groups. Learn to provide support, advocacy or interventions to individual clients, groups or communities across a range of services. Your work may take place in a community service, case work or case management context and may apply to a range of groups who experience disadvantage within our communities.
- Materials fees may apply for course enrolments.
Dates / Locations
#### When You Can Enrol
- On-campus/blended: Applications are open for a Term 4 intake into this course in 2021 - apply online now.
Note: if applications are not open please register your details via the ‘Enquire Now’ button to be notified when future intakes are scheduled and applications open.
- Traineeship: You will enrol with Wodonga TAFE as part of your traineeship with your employer. The Australian Apprenticeship Support Network (AASN) is your first point of contact for queries about a traineeship or apprenticeship, www.australianapprenticeships.gov.au/about-aasn.
#### Delivery Schedule
- Midyear & Term 4 2021 intakes: on campus, 2 days per week commencing 27 July (Tuesdays and Wednesdays)
- Traineeship - Individual training plans will be developed in consultation with your employer, as part of your traineeship.
- McKoy Street, Wodonga Vic (Main campus)
Info Events / Sessions
No info events or info sessions available.
#### Compulsory Units
CHCADV001 Facilitate the interests and rights of clients
CHCCCS004 Assess co-existing needs
CHCCOM002 Use communication to build relationships
CHCDIV001 Work with diverse people
CHCLEG001 Work legally and ethically
CHCPRP001 Develop and maintain networks and collaborative partnerships
HLTWHS003 Maintain work health and safety
CHCCCS019 Recognise and respond to crisis situations
CHCGRP002 Plan and conduct group activities
CHCMHS001 Work with people with mental health issues
CHCCDE003 Work within a community development framework
HLTAID003 Provide first aid
CHCCOM001 Provide first point of contact
CHCCSM005 Develop, facilitate and review all aspects of case management
VU22733 Identify and provide initial response to family violence risk
#### Selectable Units
Additional selectable units may apply.
Full-time: 12 months
- On-campus – The majority of teaching and assessment is conducted on-campus
- Traineeship – Teaching and assessment will be required to be conducted as part of a traineeship
Students must be a minimum of 18 years of age at the time of their first clinical placement. Students are required to complete 100 hours of placement.
From 1 January 2019, Free TAFE for Priority Courses is a Victorian Government program that will pay your tuition fees to study in this selected course at Wodonga TAFE, if you’re eligible, subject to minimum numbers.
Government Funded $3,572.50 (Tuition $3,487.50, Materials $85.00)
Concession $782.50 (Tuition $697.50, Materials $85.00)
Fee For Service $4,735.00 (Tuition $4,650.00, Materials $85.00)
The student tuition fees published are indicative only and can be subject to change given individual circumstances at the time of enrolment. Funding made available to eligible individuals by State and Commonwealth Governments. If funding is utilised, this may affect future opportunities to access additional funding in the future. For more information see ‘Fee information and eligibility’ under the 'Apply Now' tab on the Wodonga TAFE website.
- Successful applicants for this course will be required to obtain a Working with Children’s Check and may be asked to apply for a National Police check prior to placement.
- Successful applicants for this course will be required to provide evidence of immunisation records (for placement).
- On receipt of your course application you will be emailed an ‘Application Requirement Questionnaire’ electronic form and you will be required to provide evidence of a Victorian Working With Children’s Check (WWCC).
- All applicants understand there is a selection process that applies to all courses. This process includes: LLN (Literacy, Learning, Numeracy) Assessment; Written Tasks; Group Interview.
- Once you submit an application for this course you will receive a separate email from LLN Robot to complete a Learning, Reading, Writing, Oral and Numeracy test online. Please check your junk mail if this does not come to your inbox.
- Please allow one hour to complete the LLN Robot assessment. You will need a computer with speakers or headphones as there is an audio section in the assessment.
- Your LLN Assessment will need to be completed one week after receiving it to progress your application to the next stage, or your application may be withdrawn due to inactivity.
- If you are unable to access the LLN Robot link please contact our Customer Experience team **as soon as possible**.
- Note: Completion of and passing the LLN Robot Assessment does not guarantee a place in the course at Wodonga TAFE. Numbers are limited and selected applicants will be contacted to attend an interview. If an applicant is not accepted into their preferred course they will be contacted and provided information on alternate pathways and/or courses.
This course provides graduates with the academic skill to transition to the Diploma of Community Services (with several credits applied from the Certificate IV to the Diploma). The Diploma of Community Services course with Wodonga TAFE also offers opportunities for credit towards study at university level. The Diploma of Community Services qualification as delivered by Wodonga TAFE is accredited by the Australian Community Workers Association (ACWA) through a rigid registration process to ensure content of the course meets industry requirements. The Department of Families, Fairness and Housing in Victoria only provides vocational education and training-level work experience and job opportunities to students from ACWA-accredited courses - as do government organisations in other states such as the Northern Territory, Western Australia, and Queensland. As greater numbers of employers, including government departments, take a risk management approach to recruitment, they are increasingly relying on third-party endorsements from peak body organisations such as ACWA, for assurance that community service qualifications are sound and in line with industry requirements.
[Study pathways with Wodonga TAFE »](/to-wodonga-tafe-and-beyond)
Aboriginal Health Education Officer, Community Support Worker, Domestic Violence Worker, Women's Health Educator, Case Worker (Community Services),Outreach Officer, Aboriginal Intake and Referral Worker, Early Intervention Homelessness Worker, Peak organisation worker, Community Education Worker, Welfare Support Worker, Court Support Worker, Support Worker (Community Services), Information and Referral Worker, Personal Adviser, Health Education Officer, Community Legal Officers, Welfare Rights Worker, Tenant Advice and Advocacy Worker, Family Support Worker, Phone Advice Worker
By successfully completing this course you will receive a nationally recognised AQF Qualification.
The method of assessment varies and can include (but is not limited to):
- Observation in the workplace or simulated environment
- Written tasks, including quizzes
- Research tasks, including projects
- Oral presentations
- Group work
How to apply
Apply via the ‘Apply Now’ button in this course information page. If the course is not available for online application, please submit your enquiry via the online enquiry form. Also please feel free to contact our friendly Customer Experience team on 1300 69 8233 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
For traineeship information and enrolments, the Australian Apprenticeship Support Network (AASN) is your first point of contact for queries about a traineeship or apprenticeship, www.australianapprenticeships.gov.au/about-aasn.
Please note: We reserve the right to close course intakes early. Many courses have limited places and high demand. Early applications are recommended. We reserve the right to cancel intakes and courses if there are insufficient student numbers.
Please fill the below fields then submit your enquiry: