This dynamic course allows you to utilise the latest industry technology to produce design solutions for your clients in more complex environments. This qualification enables you to develop skills that cover the development of complete decorative schemes for the effective use of residential and commercial or institutional interior spaces, working with a client brief and within project parameters. You will develop a detailed understanding of the application and effect of colour, historic furnishing styles, sustainability, space planning, construction and structural elements. You will explore conceptual development, creative thinking techniques, aesthetic presentation, spatial analysis and planning. You will learn colour, design theory, construction, spatial design, furnishings, materials, visual communication, computer aided design and 3D digital modelling. You will be equipped with the skills to start your own business at the conclusion of this qualification.
- Research and analysis of the client’s goals and requirements
- Planning, arranging and styling the space, and preparing detailed client presentations
- Research and analysis of the client’s goals and requirements
- Selecting and specifying colour schemes, furniture, fabrics and fixtures, including layouts and detailed specifications
- Preparing design documentation for specialty floor coverings, fabrics and wall finishes
- Working with builders, architects and service contractors to advise on changes to an interior structure
- Producing documentation for shop fitters, cabinet makers, furniture suppliers and materials suppliers
- Preparing documentation for power and communications locations, reflected ceiling plans and lighting designs that reflect an understanding of basic building protocols
- Providing contract documentation for the pricing, procurement and installation of materials and furniture
- Organising the purchasing of materials, accessories, artwork and furnishings
- Contracting and supervising tradespeople required to implement a project
BSBDES302 Explore and apply the creative design process to 2D forms
BSBDES303 Explore and apply the creative design process to 3D forms
BSBDES502 Establish, negotiate and refine a design brief
MSFID4013 Design residential interior lighting
MSFID4014 Produce digital models and documentation for interior design projects
MSFID4016 Design colour schemes for interior and exterior spaces
MSFID5020 Design residential interiors
MSFID5021 Evaluate site structure and services for interior design briefs
MSFID5022 Explore and apply creative design methodology to interior space
MSFID5025 Develop residential interior design project documentation
CUAANM303 Create 3D digital models
CUADIG507 Design digital simulations
MSFID4021 Design soft furnishing solutions for interior spaces
MSFID5016 Develop decoration proposals for complex sites
MSFID5027 Research and recommend colour applications and finishes
BSBDES304 Source and apply design industry knowledge
BSBDES401 Generate design solutions
CPPBDN4001 Research and evaluate construction materials and methods for building design projects
CUADES403 Research and apply techniques in spatial design
CUADIG303 Produce and prepare photo images
CUADIG304 Create visual design components
MSFID4012 Decorate residential interiors
MSFID4015 Prepare materials and finishes boards for client presentation
MSFID4017 Research and recommend furniture and accessories
MSFID4018 Research and recommend hard materials and finishes for interiors
MSFID4019 Research interior decoration and design influences
CUAACD303 Produce technical drawings
The assessments will enable students to demonstrate the underpinning knowledge, skills and attributes required to meet the specific unit outcomes. A range of assessment strategies will be utilised, including practical assessments, theoretical assessments such as written tasks and tests, as well as displaying your technical abilities through project based assessments.
There are no specific licences that relate to this qualification. Work will require access to construction sites and you will require construction induction training and certification (white card) covered by the unit MSMWHS200 Work safely in the construction industry.
By successfully completing this course you will receive a nationally recognised AQF Qualification
Successful completion of this course may lead you to careers in roles or industry areas such as:
- specialist design consultant
- interior decorator
- colour consultant
- visual communication
- customer service
- technical drawing and documentation
- On-campus – The majority of teaching and assessment is conducted on-campus
- McKoy Street, Wodonga Vic (Main campus)
Full-time: 2 years
On-campus: Monday to Wednesday, 9am-4pm - First Year
On-campus: Thursday 9am-4pm - Second Year
There are no field placements associated with this course, students receive extensive and direct industry engagement during the course. All students have the opportunity to exhibit their work at various points throughout the year. All students participate in a major exhibition in November each year. This is an excellent opportunity to start or extend your portfolio.
- Entry via Certificate IV: If you have already successfully achieved the Certificate IV in Interior Decoration at Wodonga TAFE, only 13 additional units are required to achieve the Diploma qualification.
- Direct entry: If you have not completed the Certificate IV in Interior Decoration, you will be required to complete twenty seven (27) units of competency in order to achieve the Diploma qualification. It is essential that candidates enrolled into this qualification at Diploma level are able utilise IT skills to effectively carry out tasks, including the use of a variety of applications to develop and communicate design solutions.
Government Funded $9,168.00 (Tuition $9,168.00, Materials $0.00)
Fee For Service $13,752.00 (Tuition $13,752.00, Materials $0.00)
Fees Additional Information
If you are completing or have completed the Certificate IV in Interior Decoration you may receive Credit Transfers into the Diploma. This will be discussed following your course application with the course co-ordinator.
The student tuition fees published are indicative only and can be subject to change given individual circumstances at the time of enrolment. Funding made available to eligible individuals by State and Commonwealth Governments. If funding is utilised, this may affect future opportunities to access additional funding in the future. For more information see ‘Fee information and eligibility’ under the ‘Apply Now’ tab on the Wodonga TAFE website. VET Student Loans may be available to eligible individuals. For more information, visit https://www.education.gov.au/vet-student-loans or see the ‘VET Student Loans’ page on our website under the ‘Apply Now’ tab.
How to apply
Apply via the ‘Apply online now’ button in this course information page. If the course is not available for online application, you can submit your enquiry via the online form below. Alternatively, please feel free to contact our friendly customer service team on 1300 69 8233 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Where applicants can show evidence of prior qualifications or experience in a related field, there may be an opportunity to apply for recognition to be given for previous study, knowledge, and/or skills resulting from work or life experience relevant to this qualification. Please contact the department for further information about Skills Recognition. If you have completed another related course you may be eligible to receive course credit. To apply for course credit you will be required to provide the following documentation with your enrolment form: certificates, transcripts, and qualifications of previous related study, examples of work completed, or a portfolio of work.
Pathways to further study at university may include options such as interior design, graphic design, visual communication, architecture and industrial design. Contact higher education institutes directly for their relevant credit pathways.
When You Can Enrol
Apply now for the course commencing in February 2020.
Please fill the below fields then submit your enquiry: