DECA Responsible Driver (DRD) endorsement is a defensive driving program for licensed individuals to learn the responsible driving principles in an online, self-directed mode followed by a driver assessment program in order to improve and assess driver’s skills and knowledge. The practical session can also include an introduction to the telematics driver monitoring device if purchased.
DRD with telematics monitoring is designed to effectively change driver behavior through teaching and monitoring. DRD is an element of DECA’s Driver Excellence Program and has been designed to be more effective, flexible and less disruptive to client workplace activity. We have 5 options for Defensive Driver Training, they are part of our DECA Responsible Driver Program:
- **Online theory training course:** It takes around 2 hours to complete and covers topics such as road law, human factor, vehicle inspection and driving practices.
- **Practical Drive assessment:** 1 on 1 assessment with a trainer for 80 minutes and usually follows the online theory.
- **Telematics monitoring:** It includes a small device that connects to the vehicle and is owned by you, it monitors the vehicle and, if driving parameters are exceeded, it sends alerts to an email address and an SMS under certain situations. You can also log on and see the alerts, where the vehicle is located and the trips that have been completed to name a few examples. DECA can also monitor the alerts and provide a report if required on the driver.
- **Advanced Car Control:** It is conducted over 4 hours with the trainer, where you will learn vehicle control recovery techniques in loss of control situations, such as those common to ice, snow, lose gravel or slippery clay based roads and tracks.
- **Court ordered Defensive driving course:** 1 on1 with a trainer for 8 hours.
- Responsible Driving Principles.
- Vehicle inspections.
- Road Law.
- Responsible driving practices.
IA236 Responsible Driver Program
- Online end of session quizzes - to ensure that the principles are being learned.
- Practical driver assessment (if purchased)
- Automated telematics monitoring of driver behaviour (if purchased)
- Blended – Teaching and assessment will be conducted on-campus and online.
- Puckapunyal VIC
- Shepparton VIC
- McKoy Street Main Campus VIC
2 Hrs Online and 1.33 Hours Practical assessment Per person
When You Can Start
You can commence the online theory program at any time convenient to you. The training is self-paced. However, if you are attending the practical component of the training you will need to complete the online training prior.
Online training is provided in consultation with your supervisors and DECA.
Delivery of this training is very flexible and close consultation with stakeholders is required to ensure that the practical training is conducted in the most efficient manner.
All theory training and assessment will be completed online. During that time, each client has access to the learning resources 24/7. The telematics monitoring product includes a telematics device that is fitted to the OBD port on your vehicle. DECA and the purchaser can review this data to identify any drivers at risk based on alerts generated via the device.
Minimum of Learners Licence/permit.
Fees Additional Information
We have 5 options for Defensive Driver Training, they are part of our DECA Responsible Driver Program, the products are as follows:
1. Online theory training course - $66 inc GST
2. Practical Drive assessment - $336.60 inc GST
3. Telematics monitoring - $360 plus GST for the device
4. Advanced Car Control - $640 inc GST
5. Court ordered Defensive driving course - $1,250 per person
The student tuition fees published are indicative only and can be subject to change given individual circumstances at the time of enrolment.
Funding made available to eligible individuals by State and Commonwealth Governments. If funding is utilised, this may affect future opportunities to access additional funding in the future. For more information see ‘Fee information and eligibility’ under the Enrol Now tab on the Wodonga TAFE website.
Materials Included In Fees
- 2 years 24/7 access to online learning resources
- 2 years DATA access
- 2 years periodic hints and tips, road law updates, driver quizzes
2 years 24/7 access to the online learning resources.
2 years DATA access.
2 years periodic hints and tips, road law updates, driver quizzes.
Worksafe Guide to safe work related driving November 2008
Edition No. 1
Under Section 21 of the Victorian OHS Act, an employer has a duty or responsibility to provide and maintain so far as is reasonably practicable a safe and healthy working Environment for its employees.
Under Section 25 of the OHS Act, employees also have a duty to cooperate with the measures that an employer has developed to eliminate or reduce risks. Applied to work-related driving, the employee duties would include:
• holding a current, valid drivers licence
• abiding by all road rules (eg speed limits)
• refraining from driving if impaired by tiredness or medication
• reporting any incidents required by the employer’s program
• carrying out any routine vehicle checks required by the employer.
When You Can Enrol
Enrolment can be made online after your receive login details from DECA.